World Cup world record for SA fan

first_imgNgcobo was excited after being given thecertificate. He’s enjoyed the tournament with friends.(Images: Last Fan Standing)MEDIA CONTACTS• Maphamola LebeloMedia Liaison OfficerMTN+27 83 212 9918RELATED ARTICLES• SA fan to break attendance record• Bafana go out with pride intact• World Cup tourists paint SA red• The vuvuzela: Bafana’s 12th man• Bafana frenzy grips the nationBongani NkosiThulani Ngcobo’s passion for football has scored him a place in sporting history, after the fanatic fan set a new Guinness World Record for the most Fifa World Cup matches attended by an individual.The 29-year-old Ngcobo claimed the record after watching his 21st full match on Friday 25 June at Jason Curran in Pretoria, where Spain beat Chile 2-1. Guinness World Records adjudicator Jason Curran presented Ngcobo with a certificate after the match confirming he’d broken the record.“I’m very excited. There’s nothing like being a world champion, especially with something that involves soccer,” Ngcobo said. “I love soccer.”Ngcobo, who comes from Pretoria’s Soshanguve township, has in fact attended 28 matches in all 10 host stadiums. The Spain-Chile match was the 21st full 90-minutes he’s attended, as he’s been late to others because of his hectic travel schedule.As there was no previous record for World Cup match attendance, Guinness World Records determined that Ngcobo would have to attend more than 20 matches to hold the record. It is yet to be determined if his achievement will be published in the annual Guinness World Records.Ngcobo got his chance at world record glory in 2009 by winning won a competition organised by mobile-phone operator MTN, an official sponsor of the 2010 Fifa World Cup. Dubbed the Last Fan Standing competition, Ngcobo won 38 tickets to watch the 2010 Fifa World Cup matches live at stadiums.It’s been hecticThe Kaizer Chiefs fan has been attending at least two matches a day since the tournament started on 11 June, having to travel long distances to get from stadium to stadium, often by plane.According to MTN, Ngcobo has so far travelled more than 7 500 kilometres by car and over 7 000 kilometres by plane.“I’ve not had much sleep,” he said. “It’s been hectic, but I’m proud of myself.”And he hasn’t been home since the tournament kicked off. “I’ll only be home after the World Cup.”But it’s all been worth it, as he’d had the opportunity of a lifetime to watch some of the world’s greatest football players in his home country. It’s been fantastic, he said, to see the likes of Wayne Rooney, Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.Before he won the MTN competition, Ngcobo had budgeted to buy tickets for at least 10 World Cup matches. “I’m always at the stadium,” he said. He’s a serious fan of both Soweto club Kaizer Chiefs and Bafana Bafana, the national squad, attending matches whenever either team plays.The match where Portugal thumbed North Korea 7-0 remains his favourite of the 2010 tournament. “There was a time it felt like I was watching highlights of a match, with a goal coming in after a goal,” he said.Aiming for more matchesThough he’s already broke the record, Ngcobo 2010, as he’s nicknamed, is out to add to his record. His next game, to be played today, 28 June is a Group of 16 encounter between favourites Brazil and high-spirited Chile at Ellis Park in Johannesburg.“I aim to attend at least 30 games, so that a new challenger would struggle to break that record.”So Ngcobo has a lot more great football to enjoy, all the way to Soccer City in Johannesburg on 11 July for the 2010 Fifa World Cup final.last_img read more

Read More →

Bhupen Hazarika’s son Tej shifts tack, says Bharat Ratna for father an honour

first_imgTej Hazarika, the son of Assamese singer-composer Bhupen Hazarika, has said that he had been invited by the Union government to accept the Bharat Ratna on behalf of his late father and it that would be his “tremendous honour” to receive the country’s highest civilian award.On the controversy over his remarks made on February 11 through a Facebook post, Mr. Hazarika said: “It is unfortunate that (some) people would completely misinterpret my public February 11th statement regarding the ‘Bharat Ratna’ itself by sadly misrepresenting my view of it.”In the Facebook post, he had said that his father’s name and words were being invoked and celebrated publicly while plans were afoot to pass a “painfully unpopular” Citizenship (Amendment) Bill that was “actually undermining his documented position. It would in reality be in direct opposition to what Bupenda believed in his heart of hearts.”Mr. Hazarika said it was a “tremendous honour for me and my family to be invited” by the Indian government to accept the ‘Bharat Ratna’ on behalf of his late father.“The Government of India has graciously extended me an invitation to accept the Bharat Ratna for my father. He sacrificed much and devoted selflessly to the cause of a united and progressive India and now he is being recognised for that with this well-deserved award,” Mr. Hazarika said in a statement issued to PTI in New York. “It will be my dreamlike privilege to receive it for my father and his fans and followers everywhere. As always, I will strive to follow in my father’s footsteps to work to bring light where there is darkness,” he said.last_img read more

Read More →

a month agoWest Ham striker Sebastien Haller: Man Utd good measure for us

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say West Ham striker Sebastien Haller: Man Utd good measure for usby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWest Ham striker Sebastien Haller is delighted with the start of his Premier League career.The Frenchman is looking forward to testing himself against one of the Premier League’s biggest clubs, Manchester United, when they visit London Stadium on Sunday afternoon.Haller told whufc.com: “Of course, it’s a big club. Everyone who plays football, when you were young, you watched Champions League games and teams like Manchester United.“It’s a big team, but it’s part of the game and part of the job to perform against those teams and it’s also a good test for us because we need to know to what we can do against them. It’s a good measure.“You don’t have to think about them too much so you just have to prepare for them like you prepare for the other teams because it’s still three points. The points are not worth more because it’s Man U, but it’s a good test.“In our minds, it’s something nice to perform against those teams, so we’re looking forward to it.” last_img read more

Read More →

$400 Million for On-Lending to MSMEs

first_imgIn a move to boost the micro, small and medium-sized enterprise (MSME) sector, the Government will shortly establish a $400-million fund for on-lending to the sector.Minister of State in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Floyd Green, says the National Export-Import Bank of Jamaica (EXIM Bank), has been charged to institute the facility, and it will be available soon.The State Minister, who spoke with JIS News following his presentation at a Youth Conference at St. Catherine High School on March 14, said work is taking place with the EXIM Bank for MSME loans that are “accessible to all” who want to develop their enterprises, at rates that they can afford.The forum was organised by the University of the West Indies (UWI) Governance Club, for high-school students who are preparing for tertiary education, under the theme ‘Total Wellness for a Smooth Transition into University’.Mr. Green pointed out that the Jamaica Business Development Corporation (JBDC) has been “strengthened” to ensure that persons who want to set up businesses can get help with the preparation of business plans, and marketing support, design and branding for their products.last_img read more

Read More →

Shoppers Drug Mart signs marijuana supply deal with Aurora Cannabis

first_imgTORONTO – Licensed producer Aurora Cannabis has signed a deal to supply medical marijuana to Shoppers Drug Mart.The agreement is subject to Health Canada’s approval of the pharmacy chain’s application to dispense medical cannabis.Aurora’s products are expected to be sold online, as current Canadian regulations prohibit the sale of medical marijuana in pharmacy locations.Shoppers Drug Mart’s deal with Aurora comes after it recently signed similar deals with licensed medical marijuana producers Aphria, MedReleaf and Tilray.The pharmacy chain’s parent company Loblaw Companies Ltd. applied in October 2016 for a license to dispense medical marijuana.Other pharmacies have also lined up similar supply agreements, such as deals between Maricann Group. and Lovell Drugs and CanniMed Therapeutics and PharmaChoice.Companies in this story: (TSX:ACB, TSX:APH, TSX:LEAF, TSX:L)last_img read more

Read More →

Diebler Lighty showcase skills at NBA Combine prepare for draft

As the Ohio State basketball team prepares for life without Jon Diebler and David Lighty, they are both are preparing for success at the next level. Both players competed at the NBA Combine, which was broadcast live on ESPN U, Thursday in Chicago. ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford said it’s possible both Buckeyes will be selected in the second round of the NBA draft but he also sees situations in which neither player will be selected. The NBA draft consists of only two rounds. One thing Ford was certain of was which draft hopeful has the best shooting ability. “When you watch Jon Diebler, his misses look good. … I do think he’s the best shooter in this draft,” Ford said on the ESPN U broadcast. “You need shooters; you’ve got to spread the floor in the NBA.” Ford compared Diebler to Chicago Bulls guard Kyle Korver, who led the NBA this season in 3-point shots made during the fourth quarter. While Diebler was praised for his shooting ability, Lighty was acknowledged mostly for his defense. Len Elmore, an ESPN analyst and former NBA first-round, called Lighty “one of the best defenders in the Big Ten” last season. Lighty was referred to also as a player who doesn’t have just one elite quality, but who “does all the little things” and has “always played his role.” The 2011 NBA draft will be held June 23 in Newark, N.J. Diebler did not immediately return phone calls for comment. read more

Read More →

Soldotna Declares July 27 as Marge Mullen Appreciation Day

first_imgFacebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The City of Soldotna has declared July 27, 2018, as Marge Mullen Appreciation day. She was the first woman to live in Soldotna under the Homestead Act. Marge walked 65 miles through the wilderness, with her husband Frank, to stake a homestead on Soldotna Creek near the Kenai River, in 1947. She just celebrated her 98th birthday, and still resides in Soldotna. The proclamation states: “Marge is known as the unofficial historian for the city, she has voluntarily archived over 1,000 photos for the Kenai Peninsula College, as well as earning an Anthropology degree in 2004 from Kenai Peninsula College.”  Soldotna Mayor Nels Anderson will be presenting the proclamation at the Soldotna City Council meeting on Wednesday, July 25.center_img The meeting will take place this Wednesday, at 6 p.m., at Soldotna City Hall and is open to the public. She was inducted in the Alaska Women’s Hall of Fame in 2010 for her “outstanding achievements in community activism and contributions that have influenced the direction of Soldotna.”  last_img read more

Read More →

Nikki Bella dating Artem Chigvintsev John Cenas heartbreaking feelings revealed

first_imgNikki Bella has not ruled out a reunion with John Cena.Ben Gabbe/Getty ImagesNikki Bella and Artem Chigvintsev are reportedly dating and as per reports, the new couple has amazing chemistry with each other. It was a bit obvious for fans to wonder how Jon Cena will react on the latest update on Nikki’s love life. As per reports, John is apparently happy for his ex-fiancé.As earlier reported, the Total Bellas star ended her engagement with pro-WWE wrestler John Cena last summer. Following which, there were rumors that Nikki and John will get back together and soon announce their new marriage date. That did not happen as Nikki decided to move on in her life. According to pictures obtained by TMZ, Bella was recently spotted “making out” with her former Dancing With the Stars partner, Artem Chigvintsev.As per reports, Nikki Bella and Artem Chigvintsev have been spending time together for a long time but as of now, there is nothing serious going on between them. According to a report by HollywoodLife, John Cena is happy for Nikki Bella and is reportedly supports her in all of her decisions.An alleged source revealed that John Cena will always love Nikki Bella for the person she was to him and will always respect the time they both shared. In addition to this, if Nikki has found love somewhere else then Bumblebee movie star has no problem with that as he holds no bad blood for his former fiancé. Nikki BellaNikki Bella Instagram/ (thenikkibella)”If Nikki is finding love elsewhere, he is happy for her and has nothing ever bad to say about either of them. He hasn’t heard about them kissing but he is not worried about it because that is what happens when you date someone.”The insider went on to reveal that John Cena does not allow any kind of drama in his personal life and understand that Nikki Bella deserves the best life possible.”Nikki is an amazing woman to him and she should have the best life possible with anyone she wants,” the insider further revealed.As of this writing, John Cena or is reps have not commented on the recent claims. Besides this, it will only time will decide if Nikki Bella will find true love with Artem Chigvintsev or will get back together with John Cena.last_img read more

Read More →

Portugal bus crash kills 29 German tourists

first_imgA video grab obtained from drone footage shows the wreckage of a tourist bus that crashed on 17 April 2019 in Canico, on the Portuguese island of Madeira. At least 28 people were killed when a tourist bus crashed on the Portuguese island of Madeira, the local mayor told local media. The regional protection service did not confirm the toll when questioned by AFP. Photo: AFPTwenty-nine German tourists were killed when their bus spun off the road and tumbled down a slope before crashing into a house on the Portuguese island of Madeira.Drone footage of the aftermath of the accident showed the badly mangled wreckage of the bus resting precariously on its side against a building on a hillside, the vehicle’s roof partially crushed and front window smashed.Rescue workers attended to injured passengers among the undergrowth where the bus came to rest, some of them bearing bloodied head bandages and bloodstained clothes, others appearing to be more seriously hurt.Local authorities said most of the dead were in their 40s and 50s.They were among the more than one million tourists who visit the Atlantic islands off the coast of Morocco each year, attracted by its subtropical climate and rugged volcanic terrain.”Horrible news comes to us from Madeira,” a German government spokesman tweeted after the crash.”Our deep sorrow goes to all those who lost their lives in the bus accident, our thoughts are with the injured,” he added.German holidaymakers were the second largest group after British tourists to visit the islands — known as the Pearl of the Atlantic and the Floating Garden in the Atlantic — in 2017, according to Madeira’s tourism office.The islands are home to just 270,000 inhabitants.Filipe Sousa, mayor of Santa Cruz where the accident happened, said 17 women and 11 men were killed in the crash, with another 21 injured.A doctor told reporters another woman died of her injuries in hospital.”I express the sorrow and solidarity of all the Portuguese people in this tragic moment, and especially for the families of the victims who I have been told were all German,” president Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa told Portuguese television.He said he would travel to Madeira overnight.’Profound sadness’ Portuguese prime minister Antonio Costa added on Twitter that he had contacted German chancellor Angela Merkel to convey his condolences”It is with profound sadness that I heard of the accident on Madeira,” he wrote on the government’s Twitter page.”I took the occasion to convey my sadness to Chancellor Angela Merkel at this difficult time,” he added.The regional protection service in Madeira confirmed 28 deaths in the accident that happened at 6:30 pm (1730 GMT) Wednesday, while hospital authorities said another woman later died of her injuries.The bus had been carrying around 50 passengers.Regional government vice president Pedro Calado said it was “premature” to speculate on the cause of the crash, adding that the vehicle was five years old and that “everything had apparently been going well”.Judicial authorities had opened an investigation into the circumstances of the accident, the Madeira public prosecutor’s office told the Lusa news agency.Medical teams were being sent from Lisbon to help local staff carry out post-mortems on the dead.last_img read more

Read More →

Simran Sethi Quits Netflix India Role

first_img ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 Sethi joined Netflix in August 2017 after stints at Freeform, NBC, Adam Sandler’s Happy Madison and Sony Pictures Television. While Netflix global hit “Sacred Games” was already commissioned when Sethi joined, shows commissioned or acquired under her watch include Richie Mehta’s acclaimed “Delhi Crime,” Deepa Mehta’s “Leila,” due June 14, and “Bard of Blood,” from Shah Rukh Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainment. Simran Sethi, the Los Angeles-based director of Netflix international originals, responsible for India content, has resigned and will quit after a transition period.Netflix did not comment. Sources familiar with the matter told Variety that Netflix prefers an executive based in India to oversee local original content that has now grown to 11 series and 22 films. Sethi, who grew up in the U.S., chose to remain there for personal reasons, the source said.Sethi’s replacement could hail from within India or from outside, but the role will be based in Mumbai as it requires dealing with local content creators on a daily basis.Sethi is the second high-profile executive to choose to stay in Los Angeles rather than move to Mumbai, after Swati Shetty. A former Disney executive who went on to produce Sundance audience award winner “Umrika,” Shetty joined Netflix in August 2016 and relocated to Los Angeles from Mumbai. When her role required her to move back to Mumbai, Shetty quit, and after a cooling off period, joined Brian Grazer and Ron Howard’s Imagine Entertainment as EVP, international content, a Los Angeles-based position.center_img Popular on Variety last_img read more

Read More →